(my haiku)

The following are my attempts to emulate the Japanese style of poetry and thinking (Haiku). Their strict formal rules for writing have changed over the years. After a short tour of the Okinawa island, I was inspired by their peaceful way of life...


-A bird sits caged for countless years

Dreaming of the heavens,

Now free, it cannot fly.-



-Bereft Deserts and frozen Ice-planes.

The Forrest's abundant life.

Beauty pervades them all.-



-The flower which struggles to grow

Through the mountain rock

Is twice as magnificent to behold!-



-The warbling bird sings all day.

How pleasant to hear her song.

The silent crow startles me with his squawk.-



-I slowly climb the mountain pass.

Warm rain cools my face.

The scenery fuels my journey.-



-Shallow words

from shallow minds

Sustain their hollow lives.-



-How wise the turtle

Who lives so long

Yet lives so slow!-



-A crazy old man

Wandering around the gardens,

Smiles with the turtles.-



-I sit in silence,

Unaware of the

Myriad of sounds around me-



-A cavernous monument

Is but a fleeting experience

for cavernous minds!-



-A luscious green rice field;

Rows and rows of perfect plants

and behind them, a painted white stand-pipe.-



-The Rabbit darts, his white tail flashing.

The hunter slows his breath and gently squeezes.

The muzzle flashes, the rabbit stills.-



-She nurtures her precious new-born lambs.

She wonders where they are.

Your plate swims with grease!-



-People rushing,

Frantically searching.

Seldom they stop to find.-



-Eight legs, eight eyes and eight hard years.

Her tiny, shining body.

Deliberately, trodden underfoot.-



-Why pound rock with fists each day?

What sense to endure such pain?

It is because, one day the pain and the rock will be gone!-



-The path of peace.

So easy to follow,

Yet so difficult to find.-



-Quieting my struggles,

I allow the river

To direct my journey.-



-Four turtles sitting peacefully,

Perched upon one rock

are joined by two more!-



-The path is so very long,

but with each step

I am one step closer!-


-Humankind - so pure, so free.

Our World, the playground of Our minds.

Humankind - so wrong, so greedy.-



-Not brave, the man who fears not death.

Nor fierce the Bee that stings.

Brave, who fears but does.-



-How quick the deer through the thickets.

How slow her torture by the snare.

Lay still and rest at last.-

No comments:

Post a Comment